9 adventure-packed things to do near Cairns
Bill Bryson, one of America’s best-loved travel authors, once described the people of northern Queensland “as mad as cut snakes”. Perhaps it’s because of the tropical heat. Or maybe it’s the interminable distance to the nearest capital (Brisbane is almost 1600 km south). Or it could be the dangerous wildlife that cohabits the region.
Whatever it is, Cairns and surrounds has given birth to adrenaline-filled, seat-of-your-pants activities bound to test anyone’s levels of adventure.
So, where to start in Australia’s adventure capital? Here are our top 11 things to do near Cairns.
1. WHITEWATER RAFTING
Speaking of rafting, tackle Grade Two and Three rapids including the infamous Rooster Tail, all inside the stunning Barron Gorge National Park. The half-day rafting experience with Raging Thunder Adventures is suitable for anyone over the age of 13 and no rafting experience is required.
If that’s too vanilla, then amp up the action on the Tully River where the fury of the rapids are rated as a Grade Three and Four. Expect to get wet. Very wet.
2. Soar over Port Douglas
Swap surf waves to air waves and ride the winds over the Daintree Rainforest and the sandy coast of Port Douglas. Aim for the clouds and get spectacular 360 views of the beauty in Tropical North Queensland. Learn how to hang glide with Updraught Microlights and Hand Gliders with a 20 minute session starting from $175.
3. JUMP WITH THE MASTERS AT AJ HACKETT
AJ Hackett captured the world’s (and the French police’s) attention when he bungy jumped 110 metres off the Eiffel Tower in 1987. Almost 30 years later, this modern-day Tarzan has grown his bungy business to add a Minjin Swing to the famous Bungy Jump at the Cairns site.
The tranquil natural surrounds of the rainforest and waterfalls make for a spectacular dive for those brave enough to keep their eyes open! And at 50 metres high, you get a bird’s-eye view of the northern beaches and out to the Great Barrier Reef before taking the plunge!
4. SKYDIVE THE REEF
An adrenaline junkie’s dream, Skydive Cairns offers the highest tandem jump in Australia. Choose a dive from between 9,000-15,000 feet, with freefalls ranging from 25 seconds to a full minute of a heart-racing fall at up to 220 kilometres per hour.
Divers are rewarded for their bravery with spectacular views of the east coast of Australia and a dive photo to put next to the well-earned trophies.
5. BUMP TRACK BY NIGHT
As if hurtling down a rocky rainforest path on two wheels wasn’t hairy enough, now you can do it in the dark. North Queensland’s Bump Track Adventure Tour with Bike n Hike – hailed as one of the 10 best mountain bike rides in Australia – journeys from the Julatten Range down through magnificent ancient rainforests and ghost gums all under the light of the moon and 100 Lumen LED torches attached to helmets.
There’s even a wee bit of time at the beginning devoted to animal spotting.
6. BLAZING SADDLES TOURS
Whether a horse or a quad bike is your steed of choice, Blazing Saddles takes guests on an adventure through rainforest pockets, mangrove wetlands and native bushland.
Located only 10 minutes from Cairns on a working sugar cane farm, Blazing Saddles has a huge stable of horses and a steed to suit just about any rider four years and up. This is one activity that is perfect to do in the rain, too.
7. ZIPLINE OVER GOLIATH, A FOUR-METRE LIVE CROC
Perched on top of the Cairns Reef Hotel Casino is an all-weather wildlife exhibit enclosed in a 20-metre high glass dome. The replicated rainforest environment of Cairns ZOOM and Wildlife Dome is home to over 400 animals including parrots, cockatoos, lorikeets, rosellas and rainforest wallabies that all roam freely inside the dome.
But the adrenaline factor here is the high ropes course and the opportunity to eyeball Goliath, a giant four-metre saltwater crocodile, as you zip line right over him.
8. CROC-SPOTTING WITH BRUCE BELCHER’S DAINTREE RIVER CRUISES
After 23 years and 40,000 croc-spotting trips, there’s a reason Bruce Belcher brags a 98% success rate in spotting crocodiles in the wild! A man who grew up with the Indigenous people of Mornington Island in the Gulf of Carpentaria, Bruce keeps passengers entertained with tales he’s learned about this powerfully deadly creature.
You’ll get surprisingly close to these big reptiles and also get the chance to see the odd feral pig in your travels as well. The one-hour cruises (extended to 90 minutes at sunset when cocktails and canapés are included) also includes spotting for tree snakes, pythons and rare Daintree birds.
9. LIVEABOARD THE SPIRIT OF FREEDOM
A three-day liveaboard dive trip on the Spirit Of Freedom is like watching a Doctor Zeus picture book come to life. Nowhere on the planet are there such curious creatures at your fingertips than the bombie sites around the Ribbon Reefs.
Here the waters are a flurry of fish with fluffy antennas, incredibly colourful soft corals growing next to surly-mouthed stone fish and giant clams donning painted purple lips. The Spirit of Freedom is one of a handful of boats that take divers into the wild north of the Great Barrier Reef.
Departing every Monday from Cairns, the dive cruise travels along the rarely visited Ribbon Reefs, finishing 240km to the north at the world famous Cod Hole allowing visitors up to 11 diving encounters.
NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? HERE ARE SOME MORE HEART-PUMPING THINGS TO DO:
- Hike through a subtropical forest to peak lookouts, or kayak and SUP along the coastline of Fitzroy Island.
- Cape York Motorcycle Adventures visits the best off-road trails in National Parks and private properties, as well as secluded swimming holes and secret fishing spots. Take a one-day trek or go on an eight-day adventure.
- For an outdoor adventure that won’t break the bank, hire some kayaks for a relaxing paddle down the crystal clear waters of Babinda Creek, 55km south of Cairns.
- Explore waterfalls in a hardcore way with Behana Days. You’ll be able to go canyoning through Behana Gorge within 30 minutes of Cairns.
- Zip through old rainforest logging tracks in the Daintree on a Jungle Rumble quad bike adventure with Daintree Station.
- Get your heart pumping with a DJ set on a 35 minute jet boat ride with Bad Fishy around Trinity Inlet in Cairns.
- If you want to fly like a bird and dive like a marlin, soar with Flyboard Cairns.
- Swap your dinghy for a 68-foot yacht, helicopter transfers and a personal chef. Far North Sports Fishing specialise in high-end bespoke fishing adventures on board a multi-million dollar, three-level yacht Blue Martini.