Get inspired with these 50 First Date Ideas in Brisbane
You’ve flirted/Tindered/left him or her a cute note with your number on it. But now it’s time for The First Date. Oh, the pressure!
Luckily, we’ve got 50 first date ideas in Brisbane for you to choose from (and ‘dinner and a movie’ is definitely not on the list).
For the foodies
1. Twilight = Romance. It’s science. Eat Street Markets, on every Friday and Saturday night (and Sunday during the day), will have you feeling the love as you wander around the twinkling lights and collection of shipping containers that contain an array of yummyness!
2. Why stick to one cafe when you can seek out the best beans in Brisbane on a coffee trail around the city.
3. When it comes to first date ideas, it pays to think beyond the CBD. Head out to Sunnybank for the best yum cha in town.
4. Calm the nerves with a beverage or two with a pub crawl around Brisbane, where you can see the sights and get to know each other at the same time.
5. Spoil your date with a fancy feast at one of the restaurants along Eagle Street Pier in the CBD. Team it with a walk along the river after dinner to reach ‘perfect date’ status.
6. Nothing says intimate like a cosy laneway eatery, and you’ll find them hidden all over the city.
7. Take a romantic stroll through the South Bank parklands before settling into a meal at one of eateries along Grey and Little Stanley Street.
8. Venture further into South Brisbane with a walk around the restaurant precinct of West End where a smorgasbord of cuisines is at your fingertips.
9. Opt for a hands-on eating experience and show off your MasterChef-worthy skills with a cooking class.
10. Non-beer fans we apologise in advance but for those who are, and are partial to getting brownie points on that first date, the XXXX Brewery Tour is the way to go! Pre-bookings are a must.
For the active adventurers
11. Take a day trip to Moreton Island for kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, sand tobogganing, or a zip around on a segway!
12. Hit up Rocksports in Fortitude Valley – they cater for ‘first-timers’ and it’s a cute way to see if your date will attempt to catch you if you fall!
13. Go barefoot bowling at Merthyr Bowls Club in New Farm. As far as first date ideas go, this one is always a winner.
14. Join in the Friday Night Paddle & Prawns with Riverlife – you will have earned that beer or wine by the time you get to it!
16. Go fishing at Newstead Park. It’s the perfect way to get to know someone, and with a little patience, you can catch anything from flathead, jewfish and salmon.
17. Cosy up to your date on a Haunted Brisbane Tour.
18. Get to know the city on a tour with Brisbane Greeters – locals who LOVE Brisbane and LOVE to share their knowledge. Oh yeah, and they’re FREE.
19. Pull on your sexiest pair of bike pants, get on your bike (or grab a CityCycle) and explore all that South Bank has to offer.
20. Lace up those shoes and get hiking up Mount Coot-tha. With a short 20-minute walk to the top, you don’t have to worry about breaking a sweat in front of your date and the view over Brisbane is well worth the exercise.
21. Got a pooch? Go for a stroll around a pet-friendly park and he/she won’t be able to resist the puppy dog eyes!
For the culture vultures
22. See a play, attend a workshop or break the ice with a comedy night at Brisbane Powerhouse.
23. Don your cutest outfit and whisk your date to one of the music performances in Fortitude Valley‘s entertainment precinct.
24. See an exhibition at GOMA – they have a variety of dramatic and large-scale installations by various artists throughout the year.
25. Kick off your Friday night with a free gig at City Sounds. Check the Facebook page for the gig guide.
26. Keep the music going with a gig at one of these live venues.
27. Get your geek on at the Sciencentre.
For the young at heart
29. Go for a trifecta with bowling, laser tag AND karaoke at Strike Bowling at the Wintergarden Centre in Queen Street Mall.
30. Get your geek on and see which one of you is a pinball champion at Netherworld in the heart of Fortitude Valley.
31. We’re not saying you’ll be flying through the air like Aladdin by the end of your date at Iceworld in Boondall or Acacia Ridge but at least when you fall your date can catch you!
32. Get all dolled up and head to the racing tracks at Eagle Farm and Doomben.
For the hopeless romantics
33. Take things to new heights on a Story Bridge Climb – the dawn and twilight climbs are our pick for maximum romance.
34. Jump in the car for a lazy Sunday drive and enjoy lunch and wine tasting at Sirromet (totally impressive).
35. Set the alarm for a champagne brekkie hot air balloon flight. It’s a little exxy but if you want to make that first impression last…
37. It’s a little off the radar for some but Bribie Island is a quick getaway from the city and an awesome place to head for a picnic or a few arvo beers.
38. Take a cruise to Lone Pine Sanctuary where you can cuddle a koala, pet kangaroos, spot adorable platypuses swimming in their enclosures.
39. Dress in your dapper best and indulge in high tea at Room with Roses in the heritage listed Brisbane Arcade.
40. Go watch whales frolicking in gorgeous Moreton Bay only 30 minutes north of Brissy.
41. Grab some brunch and explore the fresh produce and arts and crafts at Brisbane’s Riverside Markets in the City Botanic Gardens on every Sunday.
42. Dress up for a night at the ballet at QPAC!
For the traditionalist
43. If you want a break from your local caffeine source hit up Caffe E Gelato Milany in Hamilton or Gelato Messina in South Brisbane. After all, ice cream what love is made of.
44. Make like Sandy and Danny and see a movie at the Yatala Drive-In.
46. Take a drive up to Mt Coot-tha. Purely for the views, of course.
48. Have a BBQ lunch and go wildlife spotting at the gorgeous Alexander Clark Park in Loganholme – possums, koalas and gliders are just some of the locals you may run into!
49. Take a ride on The Wheel of Brisbane, it will lift you 60 metres above Brisbane at any time of day.
50. A guy, a girl and a rooftop bar… oh, and an open-air cinema at Limes Hotel. Plus you can order drinks and tapas to your heart’s content, before, during and after!
Now, ‘fess up? What’s the best date you’ve ever been on in Brisbane?
*This post was first published in 2014 and updated in January 2018.