How would you spend one day in paradise?
In 2013 we unleashed 20 of Australia’s best filmmakers in Tropical North Queensland with only GoPro cameras to answer one question: How would you spend one day in paradise?
They stories, adventures, and spirit that was captured blew us out of the water, with one 14-year-old by the name of Pascal Datler standing out.
As a real life embodiment of “Life of Pi” (minus the tiger), Pascal spent his childhood on a boat on the Great Barrier Reef in complete symbiosis with nature.
Check out Pascal’s and a few other spectacular days spent in paradise:
Paradise Winner: Pascal’s life on the Great Barrier Reef
Pascal’s story, captured by Australian film-maker Justin McMillan as an entry into the 1 Day in Paradise competition, won the jury’s hearts and the grand prize of AUD$75,000.
Even after a surfing accident left him with seven titanium plates inside the right side of his skull, Pascal wouldn’t let his injuries deter him from spending his days on the water, by the beach, and casting a line.
Sky-scuba diving over the Great Barrier Reef – Gulliver Page
From one extreme to the other, this day in paradise is the definition of an adrenaline adventure: beginning with a birds eye view and ending with full submersion into the depths of the Great Barrier Reef.
Check out these scuba diving guides to experience this for yourself:
- Not sure if scuba diving is for you? Choose between diving deep or staying on the surface with this guide
- Discover diving with this first timer’s guide
- Scuba diving off Cairns? Put these 6 spots on your list
- Find out where to take a scuba diving course in Townsville
- Tick off these 11 scuba diving hot spots
The pulse of paradise – David Parkinson
This day in paradise discovers the ancient beauty and tranquility of the land, with natural wonders like waterfalls, rainforest, and reef surrounding us.
A friend for this time – Benjamin Dowie
Paradise to Benjamin Dowie is being immersed in the laidback beach culture, exploring all that the area has to offer.
Along for the ride – Mitch Kennedy
Swapping coast for country, this version of paradise includes a few acres of untouched tropical beauty and some good old fashioned farming.
Release your inner cowboy/cowgirl with these country guides:
- Follow the sound of country tunes with this Nashville-lovers guide to Queensland
- If you didn’t feel like a cowboy/girl at first, you will after this adventure
- Have a bucking good time in this country town