When Love Comes to Town (and what to do when it gets there)
When a bus full of single women rolled into Airlie Beach looking for love on the Channel Nine TV series When Love Comes to Town, local bachelor Doug Davy was ready to show off his hometown, and let his romantic side shine.
But when the cameras stopped rolling and blonde beauty Zoe Gorbunow decided to stick around, the smitten pair started a game of one-upmanship in the date stakes.
“In terms of first dates, a croc safari and Whitehaven Beach are definitely the most fun I’ve been on!” Zoe says.
“Doug is a bit of a romantic considering he’s a true Aussie bloke. He’s organised lunches at secluded beaches, day trips out on the boat, waterfall hikes, degustation dinners and nights away in some of the most beautiful spots. I’m pretty spoilt but it helps that he lives in one of the most stunning locations in Queensland!”
Now the only couple to have survived the dating show, marketing manager Zoe and boilermaker Doug swap time between Zoe’s hometown of Brisbane and Airlie Beach every few weeks.
So, what do they do when love comes to town and it’s date night?
Zoe’s Top 3 Dates in Brisbane
1. If you’re looking to really spoil you partner, the ultimate night out to plan is: Dinner at Black Hide Steakhouse, catch the Broncos or Reds at Suncorp Stadium then a luxe night at Gambaro’s new hotel. All on the same street so you can wear high heels!
2. The Wheel of Brisbane – such a cute and romantic way to see all of Brisbane city.
3. Eat Street Markets with all the twinkly romantic lights, music and of course amazing food. (One word: Cronuts.)
But my favourite date was when I organised a high tea where we first met at Villa Botancia in Airlie Beach for our six-month anniversary. When the limousine arrived to pick us up, Doug was convinced I’d organised a surprise wedding!
Doug’s Top 3 Dates in Airlie Beach
1. Deja Vu restaurant for their seven-course dinner looking over Airlie beach, breathtaking!
2. Daydream Island for a cinema night on the beach. Grab a bottle of wine, two glasses and a blanket, snuggle up and enjoy the film.
3. For an adventure date like no other, go Ocean Rafting around the Whitsunday Islands to Whitehaven Beach where you go snorkelling, walk to the lookout and see a breathtaking view of Hill Inlet and the sweeping white sand dunes of Whitehaven. Such a fun day!