The Best Job in the World is back!
[Update 16 May: Scroll to the bottom of this article to view the final shortlist.]
Yes, you read right. As our ex-island caretaker is regretfully handing over the keys to his island hacienda we’re looking for someone to take his place.
As our Park Ranger you will be exploring the world’s oldest rainforest, watching whales migrate on the Great Barrier Reef, and showcase our five World Heritage areas to the world through blogs and social media.
This is the perfect opportunity for an outdoor lover with a sense of adventure to promote some of the world’s most awe-inspiring natural wonders to an international audience. The position is a six-month contract attracting a generous salary package of AU$100,000 and a free jar of vegemite.
- Patrol the beaches – You have 7,400 kilometres of palm and beach-fringed coastline within your jurisdiction, but you only need to show us your favourites.
- Swim, dive and snorkel the world’s biggest aquarium. With 600 islands and 1,500 species of fish to hang out with, we’re sure the 30C water will keep you occupied.
- Feed the fish, and meet and greet with local wildlife, including kangaroos, crocodiles and the short-tempered cassowary.
- Get up close and personal with hatching turtles and migrating whales and share your experience with the world.
- Showcase the best of our 300 national and marine parks and state forests. Like a well-paid Tarzan.
- Report on your adventures through photo blogs, social media channels and media interviews.
Who we’re looking for
We will consider applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, but believe you should possess these traits:
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Be adventurous by nature and willing to try new things
- Have a passion for the outdoors and nature
- Good swimming skills and enthusiasm for snorkelling and/or diving
About the job package
The position of Park Ranger attracts a AUD$100,000 salary package (AUD $50,000 salary and AUD $50,000 to cover living expenses) for the six-month contract.
The successful candidate will live amongst the stars with a range of rent-free accommodation. You might spend one night camping on an island and the next in a bunk on a luxury yacht.
You’ll receive return airfares from your nearest capital city (in your home country), travel insurance and the cameras and gadgets required to show the world a good time.
The six-month contract commences on 1st August 2013.
About your new office
Queensland is regarded as having one of the world’s richest natural environments and boasts a rich and diverse array of World Heritage areas including the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest and Fraser Island.
The state is home to hundreds of national parks, conservation areas, resource reserves and state forests.
How to apply
The position is open to adventure-hungry, outdoor lovers from Australia and overseas. Apply online at http://bestjo.bs/Park_Ranger.